Topic: Default Passage: Joshua 24:1–24:33
Title: The Choice
Text: Joshua 24
Description: Probably the most often repeated verse in the book of Joshua comes from chapter 24. Joshua says in verse 15- "Choose this day whom you will serve…But as for me and my house, we will serve the Lord.” And while this verse becomes a feel good rallying cry to choose Jesus, the context of this chapter makes this choice much more than a casual choice. Context is key. Listen as we look to understand the context that Joshua was speaking of when he presented The Choice.
Context of The Choice
1. A review of covenant history (v2-14)
- God is a God of amazing grace
- Before there was an Exodus, there had to be Egypt
- Fear of the Lord: reverent submission that leads to obedience
2. A cautioned commitment (v16-21)
-God isn’t concerned about your acceptance.
-God wants your surrender.
We can’t move on to the implications or the choice until we grasp the source of who God is.