Finding God Among the Screw-ups
Passage: Matthew 1:1–1:17
Title: Finding God Among the Screw-Ups
Text: Matthew 1:1-17
Description: Often times when we approach a genealogy in the bible, it's a passage we skip over. Who wants to read a list of names that we can't pronounce? As Matthew starts out his book, he starts out with the genealogy of Jesus that is anything but a boring list of names. This genealogy has the ability to challenge you, comfort you, and change you.
What Jesus’ genealogy teaches us
- The gospel is not good advice, it’s good news.
- Jesus is the promised Messiah.
- God uses screw-ups and sinners.
-Tamar (v3)- Genesis 38
-Rahab (v5)- Joshua 2
-Bathsheba (v6)- 2 Samuel 11
-Abraham (v2)- Genesis 12, 20
-Jacob (v2)- Genesis 27
-David (v6)- 2 Samuel 11
-Solomon (v6)- 1 Kings 11:3
-Rehoboam (v7)- 2 Chronicles 12:14
-Abijah v7)- 1 Kings 15:3
-Jehoram (v8)- 2 Chronicles 21
-Manasseh (v10)- 2 Kings 21:11
Applications from Jesus Genealogy
- Your family or your past doesn’t define you.
- God can redeem any level of brokenness for good.
- Every person we meet is precious to God and can be used by Him.