Tongues and Prophecy
Passage: 1 Corinthians 14:1–14:33a, 1 Corinthians 14:39–14:40
Title: Tongues and Prophecy
Text: 1 Corinthians 14:1-33a, 39-40
Spiritual Gifts: Given by God to express love to one another and pursue the unity and mission of the church.
Gift of Tongues:
1) Missional tongue (1 Cor. 14:21-22; Acts 2:4-6):
-Speaking a known language that is unknown to the speaker.
-Sign for unbelievers (1 Cor. 14:2-4).
2) Private prayer language (1 Cor. 14:2, 4).
-A private language between a person and God for their own benefit.
Guidelines for tongues in church:
1) Not everyone speaks in tongues (1 Cor. 14:5).
2) An interpreter is necessary (1 Cor. 14:9, 28).
3) Used in a controlled manner (1 Cor. 14:27, 14-15, 33).
Gift of Prophecy:
-Definition: Speaking truth into a situation in another person's life.
-Doesn't carry the same influence as Scripture (1 Thess. 5:20-21).
-Purpose: building up, encouraging, and consoling others (Rom. 8:1, 35-37).
This Week's Assignment:
1) Ask God to bring someone to mind.
2) Ask God what he would have you to do.
3) In obedience- speak truth into another's life.
The Power of the Holy Spirit comes when our focus is building up one another.