Beginning and Creation
Passage: Genesis 1:1– 2:3
Text: Genesis 1:1-2:3
Title: Beginning and Creation
Observations from the Creation account:
1) Before creation - God already existed.
2) Before creation - There was darkness.
3) Before creation - There was loving community.
4) God created the heavens and earth.
- Day 1: Creates light, separates light from darkness (Gen. 1:3-5).
- Day 2: Creates atmosphere, separates waters above from below (Gen. 1:6-8).
- Day 3: Separates water from land, creates vegetation, plants, and trees (Gen. 1:9-13).
- Day 4: Creates sun, moon, and stars to identify days / nights, seasons, months, and years (Gen. 1:14-19).
- Day 5: Creates creatures of the sea and birds of the air (Gen. 1:20-23).
- Day 6: Creates animals and man (in His own image).
- Day 7: God rested from His work.
- Genesis 1 isn't about exactly how God created - it's simply about God being creator.
5) Humans are created in the image of God.
God is the creator of the universe and made humanity in His own image.
Implications of being made in God's image:
1) Human life has incredible value and worth (Psalm 139:14).
2) We are created for loving community (Prov. 18:1).
3) We play a part in keeping God's creation good (Gen. 1:26-28).